Monday, March 5, 2012

My First Gay Wedding - An Epic Weekend


I don't have strong views on marriage, never mind gay marriage. Until my Brothers wedding a couple of years ago, I had never even been at one. That wedding turned out to be a pretty amazing day for my family. I have fond memories of the day and the following few days worth of celebrations.

But this past weekend, was my very first gay wedding. Now, as I said I don't have very strong views on the marriage of two homosexuals in holy matrimony. This will probably offend more than some of you, but I really didn't care if we could get married or not. That was until, I watched my best friend Michael, marry his fiancee Kevin.

I guess, selfishly, I often don't care about things that do not directly effect me. I don't want to get married and therefore, I don't really care if I am not allowed to do so. But, this past weekend changed all that. Michael had invited me to his wedding, which is to take place on a, typically audacious, New Years Eve 2012. So I was surprised to learn that he had moved it forward, partly because he couldn't wait to be Mrs. Kevin but to also accommodate some friends who were visiting from Australia. He was still planning the NYE celebrations, he told me. This was going to be a much smaller fare.

I have to admit, after starting a new job and dealing with some financial woes, I thought his 'fare' had come at a really inconvenient time. The day seemed to just creep up on me. But in the immediate few days before hand, I could really feel Michael's excitement and it was contagious. By night before, I was like a child on Christmas eve. There was a buzz about the day ahead.

I got into Dublin at 6am that morning, luckily having had some sleep on the journey. My friend Gillian came to pick me up and we went and got breakfast, before going for a really lovely walk in the Phoenix Park, as the sun rose. It was there that we marveled at the significance that one of OUR people, was getting married. It just seemed so....Adult.

Getting ready for the wedding was fun, I kept my promise and wore some formal clothing, something I loathe - But I did it for him. Turns out, I suit....Well a suit. I looked hot. I even had a flower on my lapel. But had some guy liner on too, I needed something to break the mould.

The ceremony itself was an emotional roller-coaster. Seeing someone I love as much as I do Michael, find that someone to spend the rest of his life with. I couldn't help but well up. That might be a bit of an understatement, I was crying full on tears. I might have even let out a quiet sob when during Kevin's vows, his bottom lip started to quiver. I did give some thought to what others must have been thinking....

Everyone knows, that a few years ago, I had a bit of a crush on Michael. Looking back now, it seems almost childish. But I had never gotten so close to another person, that I mistook those feelings of friendship, true friendship, to be love. Even though Michael and I, know that is how it is. I couldn't help but wonder, did people think I was upset for different reasons.

After the civil ceremony, we filled a restaurant, in Dublin's Grand Canal Dock. This where the speeches were done. I am a little disappointed with how my speech turned out. I had written out a really emotional and heartwarming speech and in the excitement I had forgotten most of what I wanted to say. Plus, Kevin's best friend totally trumped on the delivery and content. Although I did manage to get the last laugh with completely inappropiate innuendo, I still feel it wasn't my best work. I managed to save face a little bit later on when she approached me - and in trying to put me ease, told me she had forgotten some of her speech too. 'Which page' I asked, swilling the last of my drink.

In true and typical Irish fashion, we then moved onto an bar, to celebrate and celebrate hard. As Michael and Kevin, mingled with their guests, Myself and my friends Sinead, Tania and Gillian decided to raise several toasts to being single and we were given free drinks at the bar for being 'so fucking deadly'. We finished the night up in a club, none of us looking as pretty as we did just a few short hours ago.

Now, my best friend is married to the love of his life. How fricking awesome is that.