Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Legal System - A Rude Awakening.



Read back a few posts and you will be able to learn everything there is to know about my recent legal troubles. I thought by just researching the law and the specific charges against me, that I knew everything I needed to know about the law. The law specifically related to common assault.

Boy was I wrong!

I had my court date this past Wednesday, I wasn't nervous about it, I was so confident that the system would see the incident for what it was and I found calm in my faith that the legal system works most of the time. What were the chances that it would go so very wrong for me.

I was there just after 9am, my friend Paul came to meet me and he briefly coached me on what to expect, he is a contract lawyer and although he didn't specialize in law, he had good understanding of the processes involved.  It didn't take long to be seen by the duty solicitor that was assigned to me and after a few moments of searching for an interview room, we started to discuss the case. We went over what happened, my recollection of it at least, we discussed cost to hire him if the case went further and we talked about what my plea would be.

Not guilty.

When we were called into the magistrates court room, my heart was in my mouth. It was a weird mix of anticipation, excitement and fear. I was asked to stand and give my name to court room. The court room which consisted of  my solicitor, two members of the prosecution and 5 members of the magistrates court. I was then asked to confirm my address and date of birth. When I was finished, a member of the magistrates listed the charge against me and asked me how did I plead.

Not guilty.

The magistrates, the prosecution and my solicitor then discussed the case, my 'good character' and the events of January 14th 2012. Between them they agreed that there would be a trial to take place on May 18th, in which I would answer to the charges. I though to myself damn! I really wanted this to be done today! But if it was going to go any further, I might as well relish the opportunity to have my say. Have my day in court.

Not guilty.

Luckily, I was essentially free to go until then. No bail, nothing. I just have to wait. Oh and something else which kind of sucks, I am not eligible for legal aid and will have to pay for this thing out of my own pocket!

Not guilty.