Saturday, December 24, 2011

A Christmas Meme


It is Christmas Eve and I have to admit I haven't been looking forward to Christmas this year. But I am trying to make the most of it.

I want to wish all my readers, friends and family a very Merry Christmas.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
I hate wrapping paper, I suck at wrapping gifts unless they come in a perfect square box. Gift bags are just easier, I do this for Birthday's too.

2. Real tree or artificial tree?
I love an a real tree, when I was home in Dublin, my Mother put up a real tree. I love how it makes the whole house smell. Christmas. However, in my house here in Manchester I have an artificial tree. I have it decorated nice with a purple and silver theme.



3. Angel on the tree top or a star?
Angel, definitely.



4. Favourite ornament, theme or colour?
I like a traditional gold and red theme. Those are the colours on my Mothers tree right now. As I said, my tree is purple and silver with purple lights. Purple and silver tinsel and baubles hang from it it.

5. When do you put up the tree?
This year, I put my tree up the day after Halloween. What? I was trying to get excited. I helped put my Mothers tree just last week. I love my Mothers tree. I wish I had a photo of it, I could share it with you.

6. When do you take the tree down?
Isn't it traditional that you take the tree down on the 6th of January?

7. Favourite gift received as a child?
I have received a lot of great gifts over the years. But the one that stands out for me is the year we got a desktop computer, It was brand new and I had to share it with my brother. We even got the internet a few weeks later. It was 1997 and we were the first of our friends to have internet access, even though it was dial up.

8. Hardest person to buy for?
I am pretty good at gift buying. Well except for this year, I haven't been working and moving back to Manchester has tapped my resources. I will get people gifts in the new year though. The hardest person to buy for is probably my brother Karl, he never has a clear idea of what he wants.

9. Easiest person to buy for?
My Mother, definitely. She always has fads and trends that you can choose from. She really loves the Pandora brand and getting her some charms is always an appreciated gift.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards?
I usually just hand out some cards to my friends but this year I will be emailing Christmas greetings.



11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
One year, my Brother Karl got me a ring, it fit perfectly and had a row of four glass squares embedded into it.   I was happy with it at first. However by the end of the day all of the squares had fallen out. There was just this whole in the ring. It was actually pretty funny.

12. Favourite Christmas Movie?
When I was child, it used to be Santa Claus: The Movie. I actually believed it was a true story. But now there are several movies I like to watch at Christmas. The Family Stone, Jingle All The Way, The Wizard of Oz, Scrooged. I like them all. But my all time favourite thing to watch on Christmas day are the soaps. Especially Eastenders. It's usually the climax of the big story lines, it is an institution in Britain and Ireland.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
Usually, with the first pay check in December. Last year, I bought all my presents the day before Christmas Eve.



14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
Yes, I have been given some white wine as a present before and I don't drink it so I chucked that bad boy into a gift bag and passed it on.

15. Favourite thing to eat at Christmas?
I like it all! I love a traditional Christmas dinner. Probably some cheesecake for dessert and to sit watching TV and movies whilst eating out of a big tin of Roses.



16. Favourite Christmas song?

Obviously, I love All I Want For Christmas by Mariah Carey. But this song is my all time favourite Christmas song/hymn.

17. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
Most years, I go home for Christmas. I have only been away for Christmas twice, in 2008 and 2009. I stayed with my boyfriend of the time. Both were not my best holidays. His family didn't really celebrate Christmas and I appreciated that they made the effort for me, so I bought them all great gifts. They were opened and put away before I even woke up. Once we had eaten dinner, the decorations were taken down and everything went back to normal.


18. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?
Dasher and Dancer and Prancer and Vixen, Comet and Cupid and Donner and Blitzen. And Rudolph the Red Nosed One.



19. Can you name all of the 7 Dwarves?
Does it matter? Sleepy, Dopey, Grumpy, Happy....that is all I have got.



20. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
Usually, once everyone has arrived or woken up. We would exchange some gifts and probably keep some to open for later.



21. Most annoying thing about this time of the year?
Christmas is one of my favourite times of the year but I have to admit that this year its been difficult. Not having the funds to get people presents or to take part in the Christmas social occasions. I won't be sad when it is over.

However, I am trying to make this Christmas as special as I can. I had plans to go and stay with my best friends with Dempsey and Ali. But my housemate Tom would have been here in the house by himself and I thought why not be alone, together. I am going to cook us a Christmas meal and hangout and watch movies all day.

22. Do you hang mistletoe
Nope, never.



23. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I can't really remember the exact moment. But I think I was about 7 or 8 years old.

24. What’s the most important thing about the holidays for you?
This year? That I just get through it and that I have some fun tomorrow. In normal circumstances it would be about spending time with my family, loved ones. Eating too much and getting spoiled with gifts.

25. What do you want for Christmas this year?
I am always happy with new socks and boxers and maybe a new smelly kit.


Again, whatever you do, wherever you are. I hope you have a great day tomorrow.