Sunday, December 25, 2011

At The End Of The Christmas Day


It is just a few minutes past Eleven and I think I have posted 4 times today already, that is a record for me. So my apologies if I have been hogging up your Google Reader. My Christmas Day is drawing to close and I just thought I would recap.

I am sat on the couch, the only light in the room is from the Christmas Tree fairy lights and a scented vanilla candle which stands on the mantle piece. Tom, my housemate is asleep beside me and my kitchen is an absolute mess. I am feeling rather content, warm and comfortable.

I spent Christmas Eve all by myself for the first time in my life and although I knew I would be cooking for me and Tom, I was very worried that today would be awful. But it wasn't awful. It was wonderful. I missed by family of course but I knew that they would all be spending the day together and I got to speak to my Mother on the phone.

I learnt late last night that my friends Josh and Shane were also staying in Manchester and wouldn't be spending Christmas with their families either, just like me and Tom. There was plenty of food to spare and everyone was pleased with the finished result. I cooked a turkey joint, with brussel sprouts, chestnuts and red onion. I also cooked some broccoli, cauliflower, roasted some parsnips and made some mash potatoes. For dessert we had a toffee swirl cheesecake, chocolate gateaux with cream and Ferrero Rochers.



I gave the guys cards and as I was feeling the Christmas spirit, I wrote some heartfelt words in them. We just chatted over dinner, shared gossip and some memories. Shane used to live in this house and we reminisced about former bad housemates and our annoying neighbours. After dinner, we convened in the living room and watched Annie. I sat with Tom on the couch, my legs on his lap and Josh and Shane sat on the chairs, within minutes Shane was asleep.

I have made it known before, that I love to watch the soaps on Christmas day as they are usually extra special, so we watched Coronation Street and Eastenders, whilst snacking on Cadbury chocolates. The return of Absolutely Fabolous was on BBC1 this evening too and Tom and I were super excited to watch it. It was hilarious and I can't wait to see the next new episode on New Years Day.

Shane and Josh have left and Tom is sleeping. I am so appreciative to have great friends with whom I could share this day with. I didn't receive any presents and I didn't need to. It truly was a wonderful day, simple yet still......wonderful.