Monday, January 16, 2012

Getting Arrested - In Police Custody


I debated with myself whether to blog about this or not, it doesn't exactly paint me in the best light. But then I thought, this wouldn't be the first thing that I have done or that has happened to me which makes me look bad.

It was supposed to be a quiet Friday night in. Food, movies, chat and some wine. It started that way at least, my friend Ali came round and I cooked some bacon and muffins, chatted about what I had done the previous few days, gossiped about people we knew. Then we started drinking the wine....

I don't usually like to drink in the house, for me drinking needs music and dancing. As it goes, I am not a massive drinker, I just really like to go out. So when we had polished off nearly 2 bottles of wine, I just wanted to go out so badly! It didn't take much to convince Ali. Neither of us had much money or any money for that matter.

We got out, hit a couple of bars, seen of few of our friends, danced a little.....

My memory is a little bit hazy, I was obviously drunk. But there happened to be altercation with some guys from a straight club in the same area of of the Village. Before I knew it, the police were there and Ali was being arrested. Dempsey Ali's boyfriend then showed up, and Ali was freaking out. I was trying to calm him down when, advise him that the police were not just going to let him go, whilst I was saying this a police officer asked me to turn around and I was placed in handcuffs.

We didn't really do anything wrong apart from defend ourselves but regardless of that we were drunk in public. We were put into the back of a police van, which happened to have someone else already in there, a guy named Michael, who liked to sing. As the van set of to take us to the police station he was singing so loudly and Ali and I were in absolute hysterics. We even put in a request for Walking on Sunshine, which he sang without question, it is like our theme tune so Ali and I sang along.

Unfortunately, this was not the first time I have been arrested and I thought once we were booked in, we would be separated and put in out cells until we had sobered up, be interviewed and then released by mid day at the latest. It didn't really pan out that way though, I was interviewed at midday by a police constable, who was so nice to both of us. But we didn't get out until after 4pm. It was possibly the longest 12 hours of my life,  sitting in a cell, with no mental stimuli apart from the Detention code. Boring.

It was experience to say the least, when I got home, I was in desperate need for a shower and some food. I refused food at the station as there was no way I was eating a meal beside a toilet and every time they asked, morning and mid afternoon, I assumed we wouldn't be there much longer, I was obviously wrong.

Through out all of this, drinking, getting arrested stress.....I didn't smoke. Smoke free for 7 whole days.