Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Criminal Conviction.



You might remember, last month, I shared the story of my being arrested with you. If not, you can read it here.

You might note that I might have been rather flippant about the whole affair. Laughing it off as just one of those things that sometimes happens to us. Well, I can assure you now, there is nothing laugh worthy happening right now. Last week, I had to answer bail for the incident, I had just started my new job and it was scheduled for the afternoon and I couldn't make it till almost 18.30. I was re-bailed again for today, the day of love.

I wasn't that worried, I was expecting that I would be re-bailed again for a later date and sometime between then, notification that the issue had been dropped. All that came crashing down this evening when I was informed I was being formally charged with Common Assault - Contrary to the Criminal Justice Act 1988, for those who wanted the specifics.

When I was first arrested I didn't take legal counsel, I didn't even feel it was necessary, I didn't want to waste anyone's time. Anyone else's that is. So when I got the charges and the bail conditions, I considered representing myself. I guess, I still wasn't taking it seriously, even then.

I have a keen interest in the law, especially criminal law, I enjoy the philosophy and theology  behind it and I figured, that I probably wouldn't have the chance to represent myself in court again and what a good way to make the best of what seemed a really silly situation. So, I get home, still optimistic that I was doing the right thing, secure in the knowledge that I didn't do anything wrong.

But as I began to research the charge, what it entailed, what it meant, how I would defend myself against it, I started to get upset. I was mad, I am mad! There are so many holes and inconsistencies in the entire process that were not followed, no option to respond to the charges. The Common Assault charge should have applied to all parties involved but only applies to myself and my friend Ali.

My charge had some bail conditions though, I have to attend an Alcohol intervention program at least once before the court date and I am not allowed within a license premises within the City Centre until my court date which take place on March 7th.

Now, and I hate to sound like some kind of soap boxer - but I want justice! I have sent some emails to some solicitors and preparing everything to defend myself in court. Legal aid is not always reliable, so I plan on being as heavily involved in my defense as possible.